Saturday, November 21, 2009

Captain Manning - The Unintentional Liberator

So, we played "Diaspora" last night.  This is a sci-fi game set in the far future based on the FATE system (for more specifics look here).  I enjoy playing the FATE system: possibly my favorite bits of this game are the Aspects and the Stunts.  Aspects are these fun bits that are based upon your character and are generated during character creation.

These are kind of hard for me to explain, so let me give a brief example.  My character started life as a clone.  So, my aspects from that part of my character creation are: Fast to Act (Clones are tweaked to be a little faster on the rxn time than norms) and One of Many (clones come out in batches of 40 with only a letter and number identifier).  I chose these aspects because you can tap them later during conflicts.

So, to extend the example: Carter is on the bridge with a possible enemy agent.  She goes for laser pistol; I go for mine.  GM and I roll the FATE dice.  She beats me by 2.  I can spend a FATE point and tap my aspect (Fast to Act) for 2 and now we are even - she no longer has the drop on me.  From there we can move into Personal Combat.
OR
A Family who is also Business on the Belt of Aegeus wants to use me to influence my bosses.  We go into Social Combat.  In order to put a halt to the Family's influence, I can tap "One of Many" to add to my die roll and stay where my interests lie.

More on Stunts in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment